We are experienced in rendering advice, reviewing documents, and drafting agreements for companies and individuals involved in businesses in a multitude of industries. We aim to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the clients’ needs, thoroughly reviewing, researching, and preparing to render advice or draft agreements tailored to those needs.
Dispute Resolution, Litigation & ADR
MGP’s partners pride themselves on having a large and diversified portfolio of assisting clients with all manners of dispute resolution and litigation. MGP’s portfolio grows daily. MGP’s partners have worked with individuals, private and publicly listed companies, government-linked entities, multinationals, societies, and cooperatives in Malaysia and abroad.
We have experience conducting corporate and commercial litigation from the Sessions Court to the Federal Court of Malaysia. MGP’s partners have acted on behalf of clients in corporate- and commercial-related arbitrations under the institutions of KLRCA, SIAC and ICC, including the following:
- A complex ICC arbitration involving a commercial and IT banking dispute between a leading Islamic bank and the technology developer regarding the creation of a core banking system
- An SIAC arbitration involving a leading Malaysian/Singaporean property developer and the State Government of Malaysia regarding issues involving breaches of contract, fraud, and contraventions of the Malaysian National Land Code
MGP’s partners’ experience also includes:
Represented the Malaysian capital markets’ statutory regulator in several civil actions and criminal breach-of-trust proceedings against individual defendants and/or entities regarding claims of insider trading, market manipulation, fraud, and embezzlement
- Represented private-limited and publicly listed companies in claims against directors for fraud, misappropriation of funds, abuse of office, and mismanagement of the company’s affairs
- Represented directors in challenging the appointment of other directors and members of senior management
- Represented shareholders in disputes against the company regarding issues of company accountability and minority shareholder oppression
Takeovers / M&A disputes
- Represented public listed companies in breach of contract issues that arose out of takeovers and reconstructions.
Corporate recovery and restructuring
- Represented companies (both public and private), individuals, liquidators, accounting/consultancy firms in winding-up, liquidation and receivership proceedings – both instituting and opposing.
All manners of commercial disputes
- Represented private limited and public listed companies, enterprises and individuals in an array of disputes involving a spectrum of issues: from setting up of an entity, issues arising out breaches of contracts for goods and services to dissolution, winding-up of companies and bankruptcy proceedings against individuals.
- Assisting its clients with commercial disputes forms a large base of MGP’s portfolio.